Dentistry at UPMC
Oral health is not just an aesthetic issue.
Cavities, tartar, misaligned teeth, along with other ailments and diseases of the oral cavity, in fact, can compromise its structure and functionality. The UPMC Centers deal with disorders and pathologies of the mouth and oral cavity. They offer treatments for aesthetic and functional dentofacial rehabilitation, bone regeneration of the oral cavity and smile reconstruction, and orthodontics.
Book an Appointment
At UPMC we offer dentistry services at the following facilities:
What is Dentistry?
Dentistry is a discipline that deals with the study and treatment of the teeth, from prevention to diagnosis, to the treatment of pathologies of the oral cavity, which is formed by two bone structures, the mandible and the maxilla, and by the teeth. Each tooth sits within a bony cavity called an alveolus. From here, the periodontal ligament connects the bone to the invisible part of the tooth (the root), which in turn contains the pulp, a soft tissue made up of nerves, small veins and arteries.
Given the complexity and interactions of all these elements, in their work dentists follow the so-called conservative approach, aimed at preserving the patient's natural teeth, without performing extractions, as far as possible. In the event that caries or other pathologies are in an advanced stage, however, the doctor will identify the most suitable surgical or prosthetic treatment to solve the problem.
Tooth and oral cavity disorders can cause pain, difficulty chewing, bleeding and, if neglected, have a negative impact on people's quality of life.
Dentistry Services We Provide
In our clinics, you will find advanced diagnostic equipment and specialised professionals with years of experience in treating dental diseases.
Some of our specialised services include:
- Dento-facial rehabilitation. This is a procedure that corrects defects in the shape, position and color of the teeth. It also allows us to make interventions on the bone structure of the mouth, on the gums, on the lips, and on the surrounding skin.
- Periodontology and regenerative surgery, resolution in the case of diseases such as periodontitis, a chronic inflammatory pathology that can cause the progressive loss of teeth and a reduction of the bone underneath. Regeneration, in particular, is among the most modern surgical techniques. It aims to increase bone volume in the dental arches, allowing patients to return to proper chewing.
- Orthodontics. This is the study and treatment of teeth that are located in an abnormal position within the oral cavity. At UPMC you will find the Invisalign system, which allows you to correct these conditions in a discreet manner. They are, in fact, mobile invisible aligners, a transparent alternative to traditional orthodontic appliances. At UPMC Salvator Mundi you can undergo both diagnostic and dental CT exams.
Diseases of the oral cavity, such as periodontitis or caries, have different origins and characteristics, and can affect both the teeth (or parts of them) and the gums and other tissues of the mouth. Some ailments and conditions are caused by poor oral hygiene, or by bacterial, viral, or fungal infections. Traumas can also affect the health of your teeth and mouth: losing a tooth, for example, can cause the other teeth in the dental arch to move.
Among the most common disorders and pathologies of the mouth are:
- The accumulation of plaque and tartar.
- Caries, which can also occur in childhood and on milk teeth.
- Gingivitis, or inflammation of the gums.
- Periodontitis, or pyorrhea, is an inflammatory and infectious disease.
- Pulpitis, inflammation of the dental pulp caused by caries.
- Malfunctions of the jaw joint.
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: