Neuro-Ophthalmology at UPMC
Neuro-ophthalmology services are available at UPMC for the diagnosis and treatment of visual system alterations caused by the central nervous system.
Book a Neuro-Ophthalmology Exam
At UPMC, we offer Neuro-ophthalmology services at the following facilities:
- General and specialized medical history (medical history of the patient, mode of onset of the visual disorder, associated symptoms, etc.).
- Ophthalmological physical examination, with ocular fundus in mydriasis, and neurological.
- Diagnostic investigations with examination of the visual field and OCT retina and optic nerve.
- Alterations of the afferent visual system. They concern the transmission and processing of the image from the eye to the brain and are manifested by reduced vision or visual field due to damage to the optic nerve or central visual pathways.
- Alterations of the efferent visual system. They concern the control of eye movements by the brain and are manifested by double vision or abnormal eye movements, as well as alterations of the pupil or eyelids.
Conditions Related to Neuro-Ophthalmological Symptoms
- Alzheimer's disease.
- Amaurosis fugax.
- Blepharospasm and Facial hemispasm.
- Central disorders of ocular motility and Nystagmus.
- Congenital malformations and papillary Drusen.
- Optic neuritis.
- Compressive, hereditary/mitochondrial, ischemic and traumatic optic neuropathy.
- Thyroid orbitopathy and other pathologies of the orbit.
- Papilledema e Pseudotumor cerebri.
- Paralysis of the cranial nerves.
- Pathology chiasma and pituitary tumors, sensorineural retina, retrochiasmatic optical pathways.
- Multiple sclerosis.
A Multidisciplinary Team
Neuro-ophthalmology is a discipline shared by neurology and ophthalmology. For the correct diagnostic framework and monitoring of these pathologies, at UPMC, there are specialists who work in synergy with skills in different fields, such as:
- Orbital and oculoplasty surgery.
- Neurosurgery and neuroradiology.
Insurance and Conventions
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: