Gender Medicine – Women's Care and Prevention at UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital
Women and men respond differently to illness and therapeutic treatments. In the same way, the perception they have of the disease and the degree of conditioning they undergo in the family and social sphere are different.
Gender medicine represents a new point of view on disease and health that affects all medical specialties. It stems from the growing awareness of gender-associated differences. Its purpose is to guarantee every person, woman or man, the best care. The approach reinforces the importance of "patient centricity" and "personalization of therapies," which has always been a priority for UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital.
Gender Medicine Services
UPMC Salvator Mundi has a gender clinic in Rome. Here you can access clinical pathways of prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation. Our goal is to improve and personalize the offer of our services, with a particular focus on women's health.
What is UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital's Gender Medicine Service.
Within our outpatient program, all our services are active in the various medical specialties, including:
- Cardiology - Mortality from cardiovascular diseases is higher in women than in men, both in Italy and in the rest of the world. In women, the incidence of this pathology, diagnosis and treatment, are underestimated, under-diagnosed and underestimated. Appropriate preventive action is therefore essential. The first step can be represented by an accurate clinical interview which, among other things, gives the woman useful information to be able to recognize any symptoms of concern. The specialist visit may be followed by an electrocardiogram (ECG) and possibly an echocardiogram.
- Gynecology - The gynecological examination in every age group has its importance in prevention and wellness. An annual visit is a small commitment to take care of yourself and offers peace of mind. A simple gynecological examination with pap smear and an ultrasound check can be very beneficial.
- Pelvic organ surgery - Pelvic organ prolapse or multiple organ pelvic prolapse is a widespread problem among women that has a heavy impact on quality of life. Prevention is fundamental, starting with pelvis-perineal exercises and proper nutrition. It is important to contact the most appropriate specialist to deal with the most effective diagnostic and personalized care path, such as the pelvic surgeon. For the treatment of prolapse in UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital, the P.O.P.S (Pelvic Organ Prolapse Suspension) technique is used. P.O.P.S, the minimally invasive intervention for pelvic organ prolapse.
- Postural/Urogenital Rehabilitation - To prevent and treat urinary/ fecal incontinence, constipation, and pelvic organ prolapse, it is necessary to awaken and balance the pelvic floor muscles (pelvic floor rehabilitation) and the entire support fascial system following guided movements to achieve a functional and dynamic posture. Practicing postural balance and pelvis-perineal balance can make all the difference.
- Radiology - Hormonal changes can cause osteoporosis, which exposes the woman to greater fragility of the bones, with the consequent risk of incurring dangerous fractures. A simple examination such as MOC (Computerized Bone Mineralometry) allows you to adequately calculate your risk index in time, thus allowing an adequate therapeutic approach.
- Senology - Breast cancer is the most diagnosed neoplasm in women and is the leading cause of cancer death. In 2019, about 53,000 women fell ill with breast cancer in Italy. The incidence of breast cancer in Italy appears to be slightly increasing while mortality is decreasing significantly. These results are attributable to the greater availability of prevention programs that have allowed for earlier diagnosis when the treatment can be less invasive and more effective and the possibility of obtaining a good outcome is high. The importance of performing regularly is therefore highlighted: breast examination, breast ultrasound and, from the age of 40, mammography.
- Analysis laboratory - For further diagnostic insights, the UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital clinical and microbiological analysis laboratory, equipped with advanced technologies, is available to the patient. Here it is possible to carry out chemical-clinical and microbiological analyzes (hematochemical and urine, microbiological and parasitological examinations, for allergies and intolerances, tropical and international medicine).
Gender Medicine at UPMC
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: