Internal Medicine at UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital
Internal medicine specialists at UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital (SMIH) are dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of various conditions and diseases. These include those affecting the cardiovascular and gastroesophageal systems, the respiratory system and the endocrine system, and also include rheumatological, nephrological, and oncological diseases.
Our doctors at UPMC will identify the most suitable therapies for your case, monitoring your state of health throughout the entire course of care.
What is Internal Medicine?
Internal medicine includes numerous specialities. Each of these deals with pathologies that may involve an organ, apparatus or system of the human body. The most common disease conditions that internal medicine at UPMC treats are:
- Respiratory pathologies.
- Cardiovascular pathologies.
- Gastroesophageal pathologies.
- Pathologies of the blood and hematopoietic organs.
- Pathologies of the endocrine system.
- Pathologies of the immune system.
- Renal pathologies.
- Geriatric pathologies.
Specialists in internal medicine also deal with the diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases, tumors, and diseases affecting the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue. They also treat childhood developmental diseases and metabolic and rheumatic pathologies.
Internal Medicine Services at UPMC SMIH
UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital's Internal Medicine provides diagnostic and treatment of thyroid, proctological, and rheumatological pathologies.
In particular, our thyroid disorders service offers immediate access to various diagnostic and therapeutic pathways, providing the following services:
- Endocrinological examination.
- Blood chemistry and hormonal dosages.
- Thyroid ultrasound with color-doppler.
- Needle aspirated.
- Cytological examinations.
Among the surgical services available there are:
- Surgical evaluation.
- Classical surgery.
- Video-laparoscopic surgery.
At UPMC Salvator Mundi's Proctology service you can undertake a targeted diagnostic process and undergo minimally invasive surgery. Among the examinations that are performed are:
Finally, at UPMC Salvator Mundi's Rheumatology Service, you can begin a specific therapeutic path for the treatment of rheumatological diseases. Here you can undergo thorough diagnostic examinations and examinations, including:
- Blood tests.
- Radiological examinations.
- Cardiological examinations.
- Capillariscopy, joint ultrasound, arthrocentesis and other specific examinations.
Pathologies Treated at UPMC
Our doctors are specialized in the various branches of internal medicine, among which there are gastroenterology, pulmonology and also allergy. And they will be by your side during the entire treatment process. UPMC Salvator Mundi is the one-stop shop for treating specific conditions such as thyroid disease, proctological and rheumatic diseases. Let's look at them now in detail.
The thyroid is a gland that is located at the base of the neck, at the front. The pathologies that affect it are divided into:
- Dysfunctions, i.e. hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism: Hypothyroidism is the most common of the endocrine diseases and mainly affects the female population. It is caused by reduced production of thyroid hormones. In those suffering from hyperthyroidism, however, the production of hormones is higher than normal.
- Morphological alterations: These are changes in the shape of the thyroid, with the possible formation of nodules.
- Benign and malignant tumors: These include conditions such as papillary carcinoma, follicular carcinoma, and undifferentiated carcinoma.
Proctological pathologies, on the other hand, are specific conditions of the anus and the terminal part of the intestine, from which feces is expelled. The most common conditions are:
- Hemorrhoids: These areveins that are located in the rectum and that have a tendency to swell. When irritated through bowel movements, they can become inflamed, bleed, itchy, and painful.
- Fissures: These aresmall ulcers of the anus.
- Fistulas: These are channels that connect the anus and surrounding skin. They can form as a result of an abscess, which causes severe inflammation.
Finally, rheumatic diseases, which come from various causes, which can be very different from each other. Some diseases, for example, are due to an abnormal response of the immune system. They are also characterized by evolutionary stages in which symptoms can worsen in a way that is not always predictable.
Rheumatic diseases are often chronic and can become disabling, and it is therefore essential to be able to detect them early. Among the most common, there are:
- Arteritis: This is achronic inflammation of the large and medium arteries.
- Arthritis: Such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, spondylitis, osteoarthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), fibromyalgia.
- Osteoarthritis: A condition that causes the degeneration of cartilage tissues. It can lead to a loss of function in the joints.
- Rare diseases of autoimmune origin.
- Sjögren's syndrome: A disease in which the immune system attacks certain glands in the body, such as salivary and lacrimal glands, causing them to become inflamed.
Who Are Internal Medicine Services For?
You can contact our specialists if you suffer from a specific pathology or if you intend to undergo the necessary analyzes to investigate concerning symptoms.
You can also contact UPMC Salvator Mundi if you need surgery to treat a proctological disease. Or, to undertake the diagnostic procedure necessary for the detection of a rheumatological disease. Our specialists will be able to assist you from the diagnosis and during each phase of treatment.
- Dr. Christian Abi Nassif
- Prof. Carlina Veneranda Albanese
- Dr. Franco Berti
- Dr. Cinzia Myriam Calabrese
- Dr. Bruno Casaregola
- Dr. Francesco De Simone
- Dr. Giuseppe Di Donna
- Dr. Giuseppe Famularo
- Prof. Giampiero Gasparro
- Prof. Umberto Recine
- Dr. Claudio Ventura
Internal Medicine at UPMC
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: