Gynecology at UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital
UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital (SMIH) offers gynecology and prevention programs for women's health. You will be able to undergo screening programs even in the absence of symptoms.
Our doctors specialize in treating conditions such as endometriosis, polycystic ovary, sexually transmitted infections, and urogenital prolapse.
What Our Gynecology Services Involve
Most genital infections present asymptomatically and this is the reason why women often postpone treatment and check-ups. The gynecological examination, therefore, is the first step for the prevention and treatment of gynecological diseases – from the most common infections to serious oncological diseases. The gynecological examination, the vulvar swab and the cervical PAP test allow to diagnose pathologies and disorders that are easily treatable if detected early. The PAP test, for example, is a minimally invasive screening test. It allows the removal of cells from the cervix through the insertion of a small brush into the vagina. The study of these cells allows specialists to establish if there is a risk of developing a tumor and, therefore, to intervene before the disease develops.
Robotic Surgery in Gynecology and Urogynecology
Robotic surgery is currently the most advanced technique for minimally invasive treatment of gynecological and urogynecological diseases. It allows surgeons to perform extremely complex interventions with millimeter precision using computer-controlled robotic instruments.
Robotic surgery has also proven to be the safest and most effective solution for treating female pelvic disorders. In addition to traditional indications, this technique is used for a range of critical conditions including obese patients, multi-operated patients, patients with extremely fragile tissue, young patients with long-term quality of life expectancy and efficacy.
Increased precision and less invasiveness compared to traditional surgery means less pain for the patient, faster recovery, and less risk of complications.
Other benefits include.
- Increased visibility of the surgical area due to the three-dimensional camera that allows the surgeon to better see anatomical details and perform the procedure with greater precision.
- A reduced risk of infection and damage to surrounding tissues.
- A reduction in bleeding and less reliance on hemotransfusions.
Gynecology – the interventions
Robotic surgery is used in gynecology for several interventions, including:
- Tumors of the body of the uterus (carcinoma of the endometrium)
- Tumors of the uterine cervix
- Removal of uterine fibroids (myomectomy).
- Hysterectomy for uterine fibromatosis.
- Endometriosis especially advanced grade.
- Fallopian tube surgery.
- Ovarian surgery for infertility
Uroynecology – the interventions
The use of minimally invasive robotic techniques is particularly indicated in the following diseases involving the urological, genital, and anorectal systems:
- high-grade bladder, uterine and rectal prolapse in isolated or combined form (bi- and tricompartmental)
- rectal prolapse with obstructed defecation
- pelvic floor dysfunction
- post-vaginoplasty complications
- recto bladder-vaginal fistulas
At UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital, you can undergo basic and specialist diagnostic tests and procedures for all clinical conditions affecting the female genital system. In particular, among the available services there are:
- Gynecological examination.
- PAP test and THIN PREP PAP test.
- Vaginal and swabs for germs, fungi, and viruses.
- Colposcopy and hysteroscopy.
- Pelvic, transvaginal and obstetric ultrasound.
- Vesicour-prostate ultrasound in transgender women.
- Gynecological surgeries.
- Rehabilitation of the pelvic and urogenital floor.
- MRI of the pelvis.
- Urine examination and urine culture.
- Specific blood samples (antibodies to chickenpox, rubella, HSV and other diseases).
Some gynecological diseases can present asymptomatically and remain so for years. Others, however, can manifest swiftly and become highly disabling – this is the case, for example, of dysmenorrhea, ovarian cysts and endometriosis. Our gynecology service offers treatments for all major diseases of the female urogenital system, including:
- Ovarian cyst.
- Fibroids Uterine.
- Incontinence partial or total urinary.
- Infections sexually transmitted (candidiasis, HPV, HSV).
- Ovary polycystic.
- Prolapse bladder.
We can also assist you in case of physiological or complicated pregnancies and disorders related to menopause.
Who Are Our Gynecology Services For?
The gynecology services available at UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital are aimed at all women who, with or without any symptoms, are attentive to their health. Disorders of the urogenital system, in fact, can strongly affect the quality of life, limiting, in some cases, the freedom to work or travel.
To prevent the evolution of more or less serious pathologies, every woman should undergo a gynecological examination at least once a year. At UPMC Salvator Mundi International Hospital, you'll find targeted care pathways for women's well-being for women of all ages.
- Dr. Renata Castelli
- Prof. Mauro Cervigni
- Dr. Luigi Cirillo
- Dr. Maria Caterina Corigliano
- Dr. Pier Franco Di Roberto
- Dr. Massimo Di Venanzio
- Prof. Danilo Dodero
- Dr. Paolo Franceschini
- Dr. Maria Luisa Gasparri
- Dr. Domenica Mazza
- Dr. Roberto Penteriani
- Dr. Carla Perricone
- Dr. Domizia Sala
- Dr. Fabrizio Signore
- Dr. Paolo Stella
- Prof. Roberto Veneri
Gynecology at UPMC
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: