Ultrasound at UPMC
At the UPMC it is possible to perform different types of ultrasound examination.
Book an Ultrasound at UPMC
At UPMC, ultrasound examinations can be performed in the following facilities:
What is Ultrasound?
Ultrasound is a non-invasive diagnostic technique. It uses ultrasounds (sound waves), emitted by particular probes placed on the patient's skin or in the cavities (trans-rectal and trans-vaginal), and allows the visualization and examination of:
- Subcutaneous, muscular and tendon structures in numerous parts of the body.
- Blood vessels.
Ultrasound does not provide for X-ray emission. For this reason it can be done with a certain frequency, especially in cases where it is necessary to make repeated investigations to monitor known diseases. Ultrasound is one of the first approaches to the study of the human body, with the exception of the skeletal part, the lungs and the internal structures of the skull. In particular, ultrasound scans are widely used for the study of:
- Abdomen (liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, biliary tract).
- Muscular system (muscles, tendons, ligaments).
- Neck (thyroid, lymph nodes, salivary glands).
- Pelvis (bladder, uterus, ovary, prostate).
- Veins and arteries (carotids, aorta, etc.).
Usually, ultrasound exams do not require any preparation. There are cases in which, however, it is necessary to observe some prescriptions, which will be communicated by the general practitioner or by the specialist requesting the ultrasound.
Ultrasound Tests Available
- Upper abdomen ultrasound (liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys)
- Complete abdominal ultrasound (female)
- Complete abdominal ultrasound (male)
- Ultrasound (neonatal)
- Intestinal loops ultrasound
- Joint ultrasound (shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle, hand and foot)
- Ultrasound of the neck
- Salivary gland ultrasound
- Hepatic and biliary ultrasound
- Hepato-biliary-cholecystic ultrasound with possible cholecysto-kinetic test
- Hepato-pancreatic ultrasound
- Inguinal ultrasound
- Breast ultrasound
- Muscle tendon ultrasound (Study of tendons, muscles, Study for the presence of swellings, cysts, hematomas, nodules, etc.)
- Pancreatic ultrasound
- Soft Parts Ultrasound
- Renal ultrasound
- Scrotal or testicular ultrasound
- Splenic (Spleen) ultrasound
- Thyroid ultrasound with echocolordoppler
- Trans-vaginal ultrasound
- Ultrasound of the abdominal tract of the aorta
- Bladder ultrasound
- Vesico-prostatic ultrasound by the suprapubic route
- Transrectal vesico-prostatic ultrasound
In addition, at our Centers, you can access breast interventional procedures, including: biopsies, breast fine needle aspirations, positioning of landmarks.
We offer medical services and services on a private basis or in agreement with the main insurance companies. Some of our services are also affiliated with the National Health System.
For more information on active agreements, visit: